Canada welcomes over 30 million visitors each year, each arriving for a temporary stay under the Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). Whether for tourism, business, family reunions, or other reasons, visitors require either an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), with the exception of Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

Visitor Entry Requirements:

  • eTA or TRV: Non-Canadian citizens and permanent residents must obtain either an eTA or TRV before arriving in Canada.
  • Purpose of Visit: Visitors come to Canada for various purposes, such as tourism, business, or visiting family and friends.
  • Exemption for US Citizens: Citizens of the USA are exempt from requiring an eTA or TRV to enter Canada. However, US green card holders must obtain an eTA.
  • Parent and Grandparent Super Visa: Parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents can apply for the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa. This multi-entry visa allows them to stay for up to two years on the initial entry without needing to renew their status, valid for up to 10 years.

Entry Documents Depending on Citizenship:

Depending on their country of citizenship, visitors may need an eTA or TRV for entry into Canada. These documents ensure legal entry at Canadian ports of entry and facilitate smooth travel experiences for visitors from around the globe.

Whether exploring Canada’s natural wonders, conducting business ventures, or reuniting with loved ones, visitors to Canada contribute to the vibrant tapestry of cultural exchange and tourism that enriches the nation’s landscape.

    1. Tourism: Visitors who come to Canada for sightseeing and exploring its natural beauty, landmarks, and attractions.
    2. Family Reunification – Parents and Grandparents: Elderly family members who come to Canada to stay with their loved ones, facilitated by the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa.
    3. Visiting Spouse or Common-law Partner: Individuals visiting their spouses or common-law partners who reside in Canada.
    4. Study Purposes – Students: International students who come to Canada to pursue their education at universities, colleges, or other educational institutions.
    5. Work Purposes – Foreign Workers: Individuals who come to Canada for employment opportunities, whether on a temporary or permanent basis, to contribute their skills and expertise to the Canadian workforce.
    6. Business Purposes – Businessmen or Investors: Entrepreneurs, investors, and business professionals who come to Canada for business meetings, conferences, investment opportunities, or to establish business ventures.
    7. Academic Purposes – Guest Lecturers, Professors, Visiting Faculty: Educators, researchers, and scholars who come to Canadian academic institutions as guest lecturers, professors, or visiting faculty to share knowledge, collaborate on research projects, or deliver lectures and seminars.

For individuals other than Canadian citizens and permanent residents, possessing a legal visitor document is essential for entry into Canada. This document can be one of two options:

  1. Temporary Resident Visa (TRV): A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is required for entry into Canada for individuals from certain countries or those with specific circumstances. To determine if you need a TRV, click here. For more information about TRVs, click here.
  2. Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA): An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is required for visa-exempt foreign nationals who are flying to or transiting through Canada. To determine if you need an eTA, click here. For more information about eTAs, click here.

Generally, if a person requires a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), they typically do not need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), and vice versa.

Planning a holiday or vacation to Canada? Understanding the Canadian provinces and territories can greatly enhance your travel itinerary. Below, you’ll find comprehensive information about each Canadian province and territory to help you plan your sightseeing adventures effectively.

Canadian Provinces and Territories


Travel, Discover and Explore Canada

Canada is a country known for its natural, historic, and cultural exquisiteness. From the Canadian Rockies to the coast of Nova Scotia, from its buzzing cities in the west coast to calm and peaceful vistas...

Super Visa
The Parent and Grandparent Super Visa

The Parent and Grandparent Super Visa allows parents and/or grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to come to Canada as visitors and stay up to a maximum...


Temporary Resident Visa (Visit Visa)

Millions of visitors (temporary residents) come to Canada every year for various reasons. While some come to Canada as tourists, some come for business purposes, meeting children or grandchildren, etc.


Visit Visa for Children (Minors)

The government of Canada welcomes and supports the union of family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents, as well as citizens registered in Canada as “Indians” under the Canadian India Act.


Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

The government of Canada has exempted nationals (citizens) of certain countries from the need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) before they can come to Canada...


Business Visitors: Work in Canada without Work Permit

Canada being one of the world’s largest economies, welcomes thousands of business visitors to the country every year. These business visitors do not need a work permit to fulfil their professional activities in Canada.


Canada Settlement Services

There are a few things to keep in mind when you think of visiting Canada. Depending on your country of citizenship, the requirements you need to suffice with respect to your visit visa application may differ.

Caregiver Programme For Permanent Resident

Canada Quebec Visa

Canada Spouse Visa

Caregiver Programme For Permanent Resident

Canada Parent Visa

Canada Temporary Foreign Worker Programs

Federal Skilled Trade Worker Category

Canada Tourist Visa

Canada PNP Visa

Wave Visas Immigration Client's Feedback

Recent Reviews