What is a permanent resident?

Essentially, a residence permit is a right affixed into your passport granting you the permanent right to live and work in a country. You are generally eligible for state medical care, education and social welfare assistance. Temporary residents are generally not entitled to medical care or social welfare assistance at any time and are generally unable to remain in the country for longer than 5 years.

When i migrate, will i lose my current passport?

No, not necessarily. Firstly, you will enter on a temporary visa and you will be able to apply for ILR or permanent residency after spending the required amount of time in the United Kingdom depending which visa you have been granted. Normally after one year as a permanent resident it is recommended that you apply for UK citizenship as long as you meet the residence requirements as in order to keep your permanent residence or ILR you should not spend longer than two years outside the UK. UK Citizenship law allows for the holding of two or more passports but you must check that your own country of citizenship allows dual-nationality, as this right must be reciprocal. If not, you will need to surrender your other passport in order to become a citizen of the United Kingdom.

Can the immigration authorities refuse my application?

Yes. Surprisingly a large number of applicants are unaware how strictly the immigration regulations are enforced and are often unnecessarily refused or delayed due to technical errors on their application or by submitting the wrong supporting documentation. Consultants exist to help you find the best way through the immigration maze and are highly effective in doing so.

What are the process times for a visa application?

The waiting time is around 9-8 months but this could depend upon the application.

What do i do if my visa application is rejected?

There are options; firstly, you may appeal the decision if you have been given a right of appeal, or alternatively you may submit a fresh application. There may be instances when you may appeal an incorrect appeal decision, or even take the matter to the high court.

Do i need to contact the high commissioner in my own country for a uk visa?

You will need to apply to the UK Embassy in your home country if you would like to enter the UK under any visa. If you are already in the UK on a visa then you will need to apply to the Home Office in the UK.

If i live outside of the uk, does the immigration process change?

Yes, it will not be the Home Office who decides your application but the UK Embassy of your home country.

What documents will i need?

Your immigration advisor will be able to inform you of the documents that are needed for the visa you are applying for.

What methods of payment are available to me?

Cash, debit or credit card, or by cheque

How much does a uk visa cost?

Different visas are of different prices however your immigration advisor will be able to inform you of these costs.